Modern Unexplained Mysteries 2

Related eBooks

It’s amazing that in this day and age we still have so much about this world that we cannot explain or understand with science. Some of these mysteries have been bothering people for centuries and may never be solved.

The Secret
51peMtIuRRL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_ “The Secret” is a 1982 book written by Byron Preiss. The book contains cryptic poems and paintings that, when solved, lead to 12 boxes full of treasure which are buried throughout the United States. Only two of the boxes have been recovered, so far, and unfortunately the mystery and hunt continues because Preiss tragically died in a car accident in 2005.

The Dancing Plague
dancing-mania-choreomania The Dancing Plague (or Dance Epidemic) of 1518 was a case of dancing mania that occurred in Strasbourg, Alsace (then part of the Holy Roman Empire) in July 1518. Around 400 people took to dancing for days without rest, and, over the period of about one month, some of those affected died of heart attack, stroke, or exhaustion. No explanation for this has ever been determined.

The Hum
a-mysterious-hum-is-plaguing-windsor-1457102486 The Hum is a phenomenon, or collection of phenomena, involving widespread reports of a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming, rumbling, or droning noise not audible to all people. Hums have been widely reported by national media in the UK and the United States. The Hum is sometimes prefixed with the name of a locality where the problem has been particularly publicized: e.g., the “Bristol Hum” or the “Taos Hum”. It is unclear whether it is a single phenomenon – different causes have been attributed.

Tangayika Laughter Epidemic
laughing The Tanganyika laughter epidemic of 1962 was an outbreak of mass hysteria – or mass psychogenic illness (MPI) – rumored to have occurred in or near the village of Kashasha on the western coast of Lake Victoria in the modern nation of Tanzania (formerly Tanganyika) near the border of Uganda. The laughter epidemic began on January 30, 1962, at a mission-run boarding school for girls in Kashasha. The laughter started with three girls and spread haphazardly throughout the school, affecting 95 of the 159 pupils, aged 12–18. Symptoms lasted from a few hours to 16 days in those affected. The teaching staff were not affected but reported that students were unable to concentrate on their lessons. The school was forced to close down on March 18, 1962. After the school was closed and the students were sent home, the epidemic spread to Nshamba, a village that was home to several of the girls. In April and May, 217 people had laughing attacks in the village, most of them being school children and young adults. The Kashasha school was reopened on May 21, only to be closed again at the end of June. In June, the laughing epidemic spread to Ramashenye girls’ middle school, near Bukoba, affecting 48 girls. The school from which the epidemic sprang was sued; the children and parents transmitted it to the surrounding area. Other schools, Kashasha itself, and another village, comprising thousands of people, were all affected to some degree. Six to eighteen months after it started, the phenomenon died off. The following symptoms were reported on an equally massive scale as the reports of the laughter itself: pain, fainting, flatulence, respiratory problems, rashes, attacks of crying, and random screaming. In total 14 schools were shut down and 1000 people were affected.

Max Headroom Signal Intrusion
warpcreepy-ft The Max Headroom broadcast signal intrusion was a television signal hijacking that occurred in Chicago, Illinois, United States on the evening of November 22, 1987. It is an example of what is known in the television business as broadcast signal intrusion. The intruder was successful in interrupting two broadcast television stations within the course of three hours. The hijackers were never identified.

Dog Suicide Bridge
hqdefault Overtoun Bridge is a structure that has gained notoriety for tragedy, it is located near Overtoun House, near Dumbarton in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland. Studies have shown that since the 1950s or 1960s numerous dogs have leaped from the bridge at the rate of about one per year. Dogs that leap over the bridge parapet fall 50 feet onto the waterfalls below. The only linking factors for this unexplained event are that dogs mostly jump from the same side of the bridge, in clear weather, and they are breeds with long snouts. The bridge has also been the site of human tragedy. In October 1994, Kevin Moy threw his two-week-old son to his death from the bridge because he believed that his son was an incarnation of the Devil. He then attempted to commit suicide several times, first by attempting to jump off the bridge, later by slashing his wrists. Possibly in response to lobbying, a sign has been erected reading “Dangerous bridge – keep your dog on a lead.”

Dyatlov Pass
Ïàëàòêà Äÿòëîâöåâ1-yxNGQtOoc4ESVGiFmTpHVw The Dyatlov Pass incident was an event that took the lives of nine hikers in mysterious circumstances on the night of February 2, 1959 in the northern Ural Mountains. The name Dyatlov Pass refers to the name of the group’s leader, Igor Dyatlov. The incident involved a group of nine experienced ski hikers from the Ural Polytechnical Institute who had set up camp for the night on the slopes of Kholat Syakhl. Investigators later determined that the skiers had torn their tents from the inside out. They fled the campsite, probably to escape an imminent threat. Some of them were barefoot, under heavy snowfall. The bodies showed signs of struggle; Dyatlov had injuries to his right fist, as if he had been in a fist fight. One victim had a fractured skull and another was found with brain damage without any sign of distress to the skull. One of the skull fractures was so severe it was determined that he would not have been able to move. Additionally, one woman’s tongue was missing. Soviet authorities determined that an “unknown compelling force” had caused the deaths; access to the region was consequently blocked for hikers and adventurers for three years after the incident. Due to the lack of survivors, the chronology of events remains uncertain

Taman Shud Case
The Tamam Shud Case, also known as the Mystery of the Somerton Man, is an unsolved case of an unidentified man found dead at 6:30 am, 1 December 1948, on Somerton beach, Glenelg, just south of Adelaide, South Australia. It is named after a phrase, tamám shud, meaning “ended” or “finished” in Persian, printed on a scrap of paper found in the fob pocket of the man’s trousers. This turned out to have been torn from the final page of a particular copy of Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, which is a collection of poems attributed to 12th century poet Omar Khayyám. Following a police appeal, the actual book was handed in – six months after the body was found, a businessman (given the name Mr Francis) said his brother found it in the back footwell of his car at about the time the body was found. The book was handed to Detective Sergeant Lionel Leane, who decided to keep the finder’s real name out of the papers. Imprinted on the back cover of the book was something looking like a secret code as well as a telephone number and another unidentified number.

Julia Noise
“Julia” is the name given to an unexplained noise recorded March 1, 1999 by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). NOAA said the source of the sound was most likely a large iceberg that had run aground off Antartica, however, pictures from NASA’s Apollo 33A5 shows a large shadow swaying through the South-West section of Cape Cadre at the time of the recorded sound. Although still classified, the pictures apparently provide information that this unknown shadow is two times larger than the Empire State Building.

Listen to the Noise here: