Modern Unexplained Mysteries 5

Related eBooks

Science and detective work has been able to bring answers to many who needed it. However, there are several mysteries that are yet to be solved and will probably never be solved. The unknown leave people with mixed emotions, but they also fascinate people.

The Black Dahlia Murder
Black_Dahlia“The Black Dahlia” was a nickname given to Elizabeth Short, an American woman who was the victim of a much-publicized murder in 1947. Short acquired the moniker posthumously from newspapers in the habit of nicknaming crimes they found particularly lurid. The “Black Dahlia” nickname may have been derived from a film noir murder mystery, The Blue Dahlia, released in April 1946. Short was found mutilated, her body sliced in half at the waist, on January 15, 1947, in Leimert Park, Los Angeles, California. Short’s unsolved murder has been the source of widespread speculation, leading to many suspects, along with several books, television and film adaptations of the story. Short’s murder is one of the oldest unsolved murder cases in Los Angeles history.

The Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
Jonbenet-ramseyJonBenét Patricia Ramsey was a six-year-old American girl found dead in her family’s home in Boulder, Colorado, on December 26, 1996. A lengthy ransom note was found in the house, and her father, John Bennett Ramsey, apparently found the body in the basement of their house about eight hours after she was reported missing. She had a broken skull from a blow to the head, and had apparently been strangled with a garrote tied around her neck. The case generated nationwide public and media interest, in part because of the fact that her mother Patsy Ramsey, a former beauty queen, had entered JonBenét in a series of child beauty pageants. The case remains unsolved and of public interest as of September 2016, even after several grand jury hearings.

The Boulder police suspected JonBenét’s death was caused accidentally, either by Patsy, or JonBenét’s nine-year-old brother Burke, believing the ransom note and appearance of the body were staged by the parents to cover it up. The Ramseys gave several televised interviews, but resisted police questioning except on their own terms. In October 2013, unsealed court documents revealed that a 1999 grand jury had recommended charges against John and Patsy for exposure of a child to dangerous circumstances, and obstruction of investigation. (Burke would not have been subject to charges of manslaughter under Colorado law, being under the age of ten and therefore presumed incapable of intent.) However, the district attorney ignored the recommendation and declined to bring any charges. In 2008, trace DNA taken from the victim’s clothes was found to belong to an unknown male, inducing the district attorney’s successor to send the Ramseys a letter of apology declaring the family “completely cleared”. In February 2009, the Boulder Police Department took the case back from the district attorney and reopened the investigation.

In addition to JonBenét’s brief beauty pageant career, media coverage of the case has often focused on her parents’ wealth and the unusual evidence found in the case. Media reports have also questioned police handling of the case. Ramsey family members and their friends have filed defamation suits against several media organizations.

Elisa Lam
s-ELISA-LAM-largeThe body of Elisa Lam, a 21-year-old Canadian student at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, was recovered from a water tank atop the Cecil Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles on February 19, 2013. She had been reported missing at the beginning of the month. Maintenance workers at the hotel discovered the body when investigating guest complaints of problems with the water supply.

Her disappearance had been widely reported; interest had increased five days prior to her body’s discovery when the Los Angeles Police Department released video of the last time she was known to have been seen, on the day of her disappearance, by an elevator security camera. In the footage, Lam is seen exiting and re-entering the elevator, talking and gesturing in the hallway outside, and sometimes seeming to hide within the elevator, which itself appears to be malfunctioning. The video went viral on the Internet, with many viewers reporting that they found it unsettling. Explanations ranged from claims of paranormal involvement to the bipolar disorder from which Lam suffered; it has also been argued that tampering had occurred with the video.

The circumstances of Lam’s death, when she was found, also raised questions, especially in light of the Cecil’s history in relation to other notable deaths and murders. Her body was naked with most of her clothes and personal effects floating in the water near her. It took the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office four months, after repeated delays, to release the autopsy report, which reports no evidence of physical trauma and states that the cause of death was accidental. Guests at the Cecil, now re-branded as Stay on Main, sued the hotel over the incident, and Lam’s parents filed a separate suit later that year; the latter was dismissed in 2015.

Woo Bum-Kon
woobum01-fullWoo had an argument with his live-in girlfriend’s mother, Chun Mal-soon, on the afternoon of April 26, 1982, after she had woken him by swatting a fly on his chest. Enraged, he left the house and went to the police station, where he reported for duty at 4:00 p.m. At about 7:30 p.m., Woo returned home, punched and kicked his girlfriend and smashed the furniture, before making his way to the reservists’ armory and gathered several weapons, consisting of two M2 carbines, 144 or 180 rounds of ammunition, and seven hand grenades.

At approximately 9:30 p.m., Woo shot his first victim and entered the local post office, where he killed three phone operators and cut off the telephone lines. He next went to Torongni, where he threw a grenade and shot at passers-by in the marketplace, killing six people. He also wounded Chun Mal-soon, who had gone to investigate after hearing shots in the village. From that point on, he proceeded from village to village, taking advantage of his position as a police officer to gain entry to the houses and shoot their inhabitants.

At 10:30 p.m., Woo took 18-year-old Kim Ju-dong hostage and moved to Ungye-Ri, where he ordered the boy to get him a soft drink from a grocery store owned by 52-year-old Shin We-do. After getting what he had asked for, Woo killed the boy and then attacked the store owner and his family. Shin We-do managed to escape after being shot in the leg, though his wife Son Won-jeom and his daughters Chang-sun and Su-jeong were killed. Woo continued his shooting at the market-place, killing a total of 18 people in that village, before making his way towards Pyongchon-Ni.

At Pyongchon-Ni, he shot a family of four in their beds and then went to a house, where a wake was in progress. When the owner of the house saw the armed policeman and asked what had happened, Woo explained that there was an alert as North Korean agents had been spotted. The man invited Woo into the house for dinner, during which the latter complained about his small salary and his transfer from Pusan to the countryside. Woo eventually began shooting at the guests after one of them had remarked that his ammunition didn’t look real. He killed twelve people in the house and a further eight in the streets, thus leaving a total of 24 people dead in Pyongchon.

Although police were alerted within minutes of the first shots being fired, it took them an hour to gather a team of 37 officers to search for the gunman, and the national police headquarters in Seoul were not informed until 1:40 a.m. Around that time, just 2.5 miles from the police station in Kungryu, Woo found refuge in a farmhouse belonging to 68-year-old Suh In-Su, whom he told that he was chasing a Communist infiltrator, and that the family should gather in the main room of the house so he could protect them. When the family gathered at his request, he held them hostage.

Two hours later, police eventually caught up with him, and as forces closed in, Woo detonated two grenades, killing himself and three of his hostages. Mr. Suh himself survived gravely injured. Four rounds of ammunition and one hand grenade were recovered by police from inside the farmhouse.

When the rampage finally ended, 55 people and Woo himself were dead, while 36 others were wounded, six of them seriously. One of the injured, a child who had been shot, died on May 8, bringing the number of people killed by the gunman to 56. At that time, 35 people were still being treated in hospitals in Jinju and Masan.

Smiley Face Murders
Smiley-CollageThe Smiley face murder theory is a theory advanced by two retired New York City detectives, Kevin Gannon and Anthony Duarte, that a number of young men found dead in bodies of water across several Midwestern American states over the last decade did not accidentally drown, as concluded by law enforcement agencies, but were victims of a serial killer or killers. The term smiley face became connected to the alleged murders when it was made public that the police had discovered graffiti depicting a smiley face near locations where they think the killer dumped the bodies in at least a dozen of the cases. The response of law enforcement investigators and other experts to Gannon and Duarte’s theory has been largely skeptical.

Have you Ever Seen This Man in your Dreams?
untitledIn January 2006 in New York, the patient of a well-known psychiatrist draws the face of a man that has been repeatedly appearing in her dreams. In more than one occasion that man has given her advice on her private life. The woman swears she has never met the man in her life.

That portrait lies forgotten on the psychiatrist’s desk for a few days until one day another patient recognizes that face and says that the man has often visited him in his dreams. He also claims he has never seen that man in his waking life.

The psychiatrist decides to send the portrait to some of his colleagues that have patients with recurrent dreams. Within a few months, four patients recognize the man as a frequent presence in their own dreams. All the patients refer to him as THIS MAN.

From January 2006 until today, at least 2000 people have claimed they have seen this man in their dreams, in many cities all over the world: Los Angeles, Berlin, Sao Paulo, Tehran, Beijing, Rome, Barcelona, Stockholm, Paris, New Dehli, Moskow etc.

At the moment there is no ascertained relation or common trait among the people that have dreamed of seeing this man. Moreover, no living man has ever been recognized as resembling the man of the portrait by the people who have seen this man in their dreams.

Sky Trumpets
trumpet-sound-640x350From all around the world come reports of strange blasts of sound from the heavens. Some rumble like distant explosions or thunder, some blare like amplified tubas, some shimmer like reverberating wind chimes. YouTube has a full measure of videos taken from iPhones searching the sky while Sky Trumpets blast their portentous refrains. Commenters warn of the End of Days, or of aliens vainly trumpeting their misunderstood greetings, or of Mother Earth releasing great energies. But whatever the theory, the recordings of Sky Trumpets are sure to send a shiver up your vibrating spine. Must they all be either supernatural or hoaxes, or might science be able to sweep away the mystery?

Vampire Child
mercy-brown_web-1024x794Mercy Brown was young girl who died from tuberculosis in New England, 1892. She was exhumed along with her mother and sister who has also died from the disease in 1892 when her father was told a sinister spirit may be at work on his family. When Mary’s body was brought to light it did not show any signs of decomposition, despite being buried for two months. Her skin was well preserved, her hair and nails had grown and she even had liquid blood; even more weirdly her body was said to have moved positions in the grave. While science has tried to explain it, no theories have succeeded completely – perhaps Mercy was, as suggested at the time, a vampire child, sucking the life out of her family?

Beast of Bodmin Moor
bodmin2Since 1983 there have been at least 60 reported sightings in the West Country of a large catlike animal, of a type not indigenous to the UK. Descriptions of the Beast tally strongly, but the official line is that no such creature exists, but a growing body of evidence – including unexplained livestock mutilations, photos and videos – would suggest there really is something out there. We just don’t know what.